Job opening at the Central Wisconsin Environmental Station
(WAEE Organizational member)
Educator Position Description
The Central Wisconsin Environmental Station (CWES)
Position Description: The Central Wisconsin Environmental Station (CWES) is seeking an Educator to assist with the development, implementation, and evaluation of a pilot after-school camp themed educational program. The person in this position will work closely with the Director and other staff members at CWES. The pilot program will be implemented at three local school districts and the Boys and Girls Club of Portage County. Some weekend and evening hours will be required. Other duties include teaching environmental education programs to visiting school children, greeting visiting groups, low ropes course facilitation, teaching outdoor skills, facilitating campfires (including leading campfire songs), equipment care and maintenance, waterfront prep and take down, leading summer adventure trips and conducting staff training sessions.
Department/University Description: CWES is a 200 acre field station of the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point, College of Natural Resources located around glacial Sunset Lake 17 miles east of Stevens Point in Amherst Junction. CWES is an accessible year- round residential environmental education facility with eight cabins, two lodges, one dining facility, two maintenance buildings, and a bathhouse. Its professional and university staff has been providing youth and adult programming to over 10,000 annual visitors since 1975. Programming includes a practical teaching experience for UW-Stevens Point students, field experiences for elementary, middle and high school aged students, their teachers and chaperones, summer camps for youth (ages 6-17), and families. In addition, weekend workshops, conferences, and retreats are hosted year-round.
Duties of the Position: As a staff member of the Central Wisconsin Environmental Station (CWES), this position will work with the CWES Director and other CWES staff to co-develop, implement, and evaluate a pilot after-school camp themed educational program with three local rural school districts and the Boys and Girls Club of Portage County.
• Create eight after school programs and curriculum, including pre and post-activities. Promote and market programs to local youth and community.
• Train Boys and Girls Club of Portage County staff
• Teach eleven after-school programs each month. Communicate with staff and volunteers at each site.
• Purchase and maintain CWES equipment
• Assist setting up camp for summer, taking down in fall
• Lead Summer Camp Samplers each May at CWES, including working with volunteers.
• Work with all CWES staff on projects when needed
• Lead campfire songs/skits each month and at summer camp
• Assist with preparation/clean-up of CWES garden each spring and fall and care of chickens
• Assist with CWES ongoing brochure development
• Assist with training and evaluating undergraduate students
• Teach CWES environmental education school programming
• Teach outdoor skill, recreation and camp programs during summer
• Work with CWES graduate student on research thesis project related to this grant
• Lifeguard during summer camp
• Other duties as assigned
• Become lifeguard certified
• Lead several week long adventure trips off-site including backpacking, canoeing, biking, rock-climbing etc. for summer campers
B.S. required in Camp Management, Environmental Education/Interpretation, Education or related field. Some evening and weekend hours are required. A work plan and evaluation will be completed annually. The position is a full-time, fixed term, academic staff, with a 12 month annual appointment. The position is funded through a grant for three years. Must have previous experience working at a summer camp, have a drivers license and personal vehicle to travel to after-school programs (mileage will be reimbursed) and be, or become, lifeguard certified. Wilderness First Responder or Responding to Emergency certification is also required by Summer 2013.
Appointment Date: August 1, 2012 or as soon as possible thereafter.
Terms of Employment: 12 month annual appointment, renewable upon annual evaluation. Three year grant position, ending in August 2015.
Application Procedure: Send hard copies (no e-mail) of letter of application, resume, and a minimum of three references to:
Search and Screen Chair
Central Wisconsin Environmental Station
11086 County Road MM
Amherst Junction, WI 54407
Deadline: Screening of applications will begin on August 7, 2012 and continue until a suitable candidate is found.